Sunday, October 3, 2010

It's Complicated

Did you see last year's movie It's Complicated with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin?  In the film, Ms. Streep's character plays a pastry chef with issues in her love life - but on the side she has the most unbelievable potager kitchen garden.  Boy, if I had a dollar for every time someone has said to me, "if I had a garden like that, I could..." or "if you lived with me and took care of it I could have a garden like that."


Well here's the thing, that garden wasn't real.  You can only have a garden like that with a full time staff and a greenhouse full of extra plants on hand to swap out anything that doesn't look perfect.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  Also who gardens in clothes that need to be ironed? And who stays that clean when they are gardening, where is the mud?

However, what you can have is a dirty, authentic yet still beautiful and productive vegetable garden.  Now is the perfect time to start planning a vegetable garden for next year.  If you wait until spring, then it ends up being rushed and does not end up the way you want it to.  Been there, trust me.  The fall is the perfect time to build beds, put up fences, and most importantly prepare the soil.  Starting this week the kitchen garden at my new house is going to be installed... pictures to follow.

The before shot... goodbye ugly grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment