Tuesday, May 17, 2011

on to the next fad

So it's been raining... a lot.  When the weather is this bad (like the endless snow this past winter) I do two things, I work on gardening related orders and writing, or bake.  The latter pretty seriously affected my waistline this winter, which is part of the reason I'm anxious to get into the garden and get some excercise - it's almost bathing suit season, yikes!

So for the last few years, I've been making cake balls, cake pops, etc.  I'm sure you've heard of them (if you haven't see here) as they seem to be all the rage lately.

I made them for Hanukkah.


I made them into pumpkins last fall.


Made them last week for a baby shower.

And then, at said baby shower, one of the invited guests asked if I had gotten the idea from Starbucks.  I nearly fainted.  Apparently cake balls have gotten so popular and so pedestrian that now they are available at Starbucks, which means for me, they are over.  There is no way that theirs are as good as mine, but still, the widespread availability makes them not unique enough for me to put into the considerable effort involved with making them.  According to Esquire Magazine they are the new cupcake.  So, I'm done.

What will replace them though... it just might have to be this- I've been drooling over them at William Sonoma for the last few months.  This could be just the excuse I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment