Wednesday, May 11, 2011

finally getting somewhere...

To say we've had a slow start to the growing season in the northeast is an understatement.  Finally, 3 days of sun in a row this week, and we are moving along.  Arugula looks like it will be the first thing ready to be harvested, very soon.  Probably one of the easiest things in the world to grow, in the ground, in a pot, whatever... it's not picky.  I'm a bit obsessed with arugula, and have already run out of seeds I've sowed so much - oops, time to order more.

I'd like to say that I was going to make a delicious salad with it, but there isn't anything else ready in the garden to go along with it.  I'm known for making some pretty good pesto out of arugula before the basil comes into season but that's not happening either.  The truth is, I've been holding on to this recipe since last fall - and it's time has finally arrived.

The Roquette - reprinted from Bon Appetit - Sept. 2010
1 cup (loosely packed) baby arugula plus additional for garnish
4 1/2 tsp. dark agave nectar
4 1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 cup Hendrick's Gin
Ice Cubes

Combine 1 cup arugula, agave nectar, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker.  Using muddler or long-handled wooden spoon, mash until arugula is wilted, at least 1 minute.  Add gin.  Fill cocktail shaker with ice cubes.  Cover and shake briefly to chill.  Strain into 2 small rocks glasses filled with ice cubes.  Garnish drinks with arugula leaves.

Will provide you with a full report following consumption (okay, maybe the next day!)

grow for me - please!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love arugula - so much that my husband expresses jealousy :)

    I make a salad with it with just tomatoes, parm, and a lemon/garlic dressing but haven't gotten adventurous with it beyond that and certainly have never muddled it into a drink - how was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ridiculous rain has stunted it's growth - I'm hoping to harvest this weekend. Will definitely report back!

    ReplyDelete