Monday, September 27, 2010

oops!

I'm coming clean and admitting that I made an absolutely ridiculous mistake in my garden this past week.  No matter how much gardening experience (lots) and how much schooling (also lots) there is just so much room for error.  I think I'm going to turn my complete sloppiness into a science experiment however, just so I can feel better about myself.  Let me backtrack....

When we moved to the country this summer we left behind a great house in a much larger city, with fabulous gardens that I had spent countless hours creating and maintaining.  Most unfortunately (stupid economy) that house is still for sale,  so this past week I went to go steal some plants I wanted to keep with me (however, it's not really stealing, we own the property after all).  I only had a couple of empty pots handy, so I figured I take the Hakonechloa macra (Japanese forest grass).  It's a brilliant little grass, Perennial Plant of the year in 2009, super easy to care for, and tolerant of a variety of conditions.  It's only downfall is that it can be a little slow to get going, and when you purchase them at a nursery they always seem to be tiny.  The most amazing thing about this plant however, is that when it's planted in a bed, it always seems to grow (in a prostrate fashion) in the directions that it should in relation to the other plants, i.e. towards the front of the bed.  How it does this I don't know, but if you think that plants don't talk to each other google plant communication some time.  So here's a perfect example of what they do...
The grass with the yellowish leaf on the left center and upper center are very mature specimens.  Gorgeous though, huh?  And here are the little plants that I dug up last week.

They are all leaning one way, which was towards the front of the bed before I dug them out.  The largest of them all barely fit in the pot that I brought, but I shoved in it anyway, knowing they wouldn't be in the pots too long.  I ran home with them and quickly shoved them in the ground - hoping to minimize the transplant shock.  So conventional wisdom would say that the plants should be planted in the same direction they were before, so that they "laid down" towards the front of the bed, right? Ummm, right, that's why I planted the largest one backwards.  I could've just dug it up immediately and fixed it, but I feared causing more damage to the already fragile root system.  So now they science experiment begins.  This plant won't get cut back until late winter.  When it emerges again in the spring, will the foliage be facing the right way or the wrong way, only time will tell....
Backwards, for now.  Anyone else have any gardening mistakes they'll freely admit to?

No comments:

Post a Comment