Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day



We were spared the worst joke of all, and the predicted snow did not happen.  Looking promising for some planting this weekend of peas, and salad greens.  Keep your fingers crossed.  In the meantime, transplants that were started last week are coming up nicely in the basement under the ugly florescent grow lights.

I hate having to do this part inside, but it's too cold even in the garage - my fingers were getting numb.
Who needs covers when you have saran wrap?
Lettuce in the rear, Romanesco in the middle and Swiss Chard in the foreground.

This is a horrible picture (damn that macro lens and florescent lights don't want to get along) but you can see on this heirloom swiss chard the beginnings of the different color stems and veins. 

Tomato seedlings should be started next week, but I'm going to take a gamble and wait a little longer.  The way this winter has been, I'm not convinced that we're done with the cold weather yet.  Ugh!

P.S.  Nobody tell my husband, but it was decided today (between me and a landscape architect friend) that we're going to add apple trees to our yard this year.  Four trees to be exact, two espalier, and two dwarf trees.  I'm practically giddy at the thought.  Hurry up and warm things up mother nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment