Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

A friend sent me this quote this morning "Labor Day is a glorious holiday because your child will be going back to school the next day. It would have been called Independence Day, but that name was already taken." - Bill Dodds As a reward to ourselves for ensuring that our kids survived the summer without major injury or massive sunburns we have a little field trip planned for tomorrow. More on that later.

But for today, no thanks to the guardian of the potting bench, I got my fall pots done. There was something weird with the settings on my camera, so my photos of them are crappy. I'll take more later. I realized however that they are strikingly similar to last years pots using many of the same plants. Oh well, I guess I had the same good idea twice. The purple of the small ornamental kale really stands out in real life, just not in the picture, I swear!

Moving on to the back it was time to deal with the little tomato seedlings that are popping up just to taunt me. You see, I was affected my the tomato blight like so many others in the Northeast this summer. I can hardly talk about it anymore, since it seems like I've explained it a thousand times to people needing horticultural advice, and am still pissed off about the Dan Barber op-ed that appeared in the New York Times a few weeks ago (Dan Barber). I will rant on that another day, because I've got a lot of pent up frustration about it. I had to pull out all of my tomato plants about 6 weeks ago but I must have left little bits of the roots behind, because little seedlings are popping up. Unfortunately our growing season is not long enough to give these little guys an ounce of a chance, so out they go. In their place we started our fall sowings of Arugula, Beets (red and gold) and Swiss Chard. The nice cool nights we've had lately (in the 50's!) are perfect for these veggies.

I'm not sure why I can't add photos intermittently to my post. I can either do them all before or all after. I guess I need to spend some time figuring all this blogger stuff out. Scratch that, I guess I kinda figured it out.

Husband is out to band rehearsal, kids are winding down, glass of wine in hand and things are almost quiet. And now I probably just jinxed myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment