Saturday, November 13, 2010

need some help in your yard?

Maybe you could hire this group?  If only, that were possible!

I was fortunate to attend Horticulture school at the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx.  While it took all sorts of crazy gymnastics to get there a couple of times a week, and I was relieved when I was finished - now I miss being there a lot (uh-oh, more school in my future).

This weeping Katsura tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) is just outside the academic building at the Garden's 250 acre campus in the Bronx.  It's a beautiful tree all on it's own, but one of it's best attributes is it's smell.  No, it doesn't have showy flowers with a beautiful fragrance in the spring or summer.  In the fall it smells like cotton candy, seriously.

What's crazy, for all the work put in to moving it as shown in the video (a few familiar face there, hey guys!) they only moved it about 25 feet.  There must have been a reason, I'd love to know what it was.




If you've never had the opportunity to visit the New York Botanical Garden, I can't recommend it highly enough.  I'll even give you a tour, because lord knows I've criss-crossed those 250 acres on foot more times than I can count.

No comments:

Post a Comment