Monday, November 29, 2010

moving on...

Holidays and other miscellaneous personal stuff have prevented me from having the time to write much lately.  The details aren't important, but let's just say it's been a little crazy around here.

Somehow in my (clearly) weakened mental state I allowed this to happen.

Yes that is a satellite dish in the middle of the garden, in the front of my house.  I say the garden, instead of my garden as it doesn't really feel like mine yet, especially this section which I haven't touched at all.  Now why, you ask is the dish located on the ground, instead of on the roof?  Well according to our neighborhood covenants that's not allowed (okay lawyer friends, I know, but it's really not worth the effort).  We like our new neighborhood, so we'd rather not make a scene.  So I guess the landscaping in this part of the yard is going to have to get real creative with the plant placement.  At this point I'll have to console myself that having access to so much football makes my husband very, very happy.  And I will be sure to remind him how happy it made him when I need to shlep 40 pound bags of compost around the property, rip out large deep rooted shrubs, etc.

In the meantime all of the leaves have finished falling too.  I've been thanking my lucky stars that we have someone to pick up all those leaves, because if it were left up to me, it would never happen.  Who cares about the lawn anyway?  When we bought our house last winter, one of the things that appealed to us was the woods and rock face that would provide us with lots of privacy. In the summer, it was impossible to see  with all the dense vegetation and was difficult to pass through.  But now, everything is brown and dry, well except the Christmas Ferns (Polystichum acrostichoides), and it's beautiful to walk through.


I keep thinking we might see a mountain goat up here one day.  Not such a stretch, as there are actually goats living on the other side.

uh-oh.
Now this is clearly on our property, so I'm not trespassing.  However I sure am wondering why the prior owners put this up?

No comments:

Post a Comment